INTRAVENOUS SEDATION PATIENTS
If you are going to receive intravenous sedation, you MUST:
1.Have not had anything to eat or drink for eight (8) hours prior to your surgery. (Generally midnight
2. Unless otherwise instructed, take all routine medications as prescribed with a sip of water.
3. Wear loose clothing and short sleeves as we will likely use a vein in your arm to administer the
medication. Leave watches or bracelets at home.
4. A responsible adult with current driver’s license must accompany you, and they MUST be present
at the start of your appointment and remain in the building until your surgery is completed.
-This person should plan to stay with you for four (4) to six (6) hours after the surgery, or
longer, if necessary. They should stay with you until the effects of the medication wear off.
5. Anyone under the age of 18 years must be accompanied by their parent or legal guardian.
6. Your judgment and reflexes may be impaired following the anesthetics; therefore, you should
refrain from driving a car or operating machinery for twenty-four (24) hours after the surgery.
7. No alcohol and no smoking 24 hours prior to the surgery.
8. Please empty your bladder just prior to surgery.
9. No makeup, pull long hair back.
10. Please do not wear contact lenses, leave jewelry at home.
11. Wear flat sole shoes and no sandals.
You may NOT use public transportation (bus or train,taxi) as your means of transportation.
After your surgery, your escort will be advised to bring the car to the back of the office, and a
member of our staff will take you in a wheelchair to the car.
Please feel free to ask questions or contact our office with any questions.